background

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hold your tongue!

Well after reading today's scripture in my quiet time, God really put some things into perspective for me. You see, like many, I have a hard time holding my tongue. I can remember the days in my life when I didn't care what anyone else thought of me and so I spoke my opinions freely. Not that I don't share my opinions now, but I'm a little more cautious in certain circumstances. My goal is to never lead someone astray, but to direct them toward the Lord.
Ps 39 puts it all into perspective - v1 "I said, ' I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."
Why is it that we get so opinionated and think we have to always argue when "the wicked" are near. That's when I find myself always shooting myself in the foot because I say too much when confronted by someone who is a non-believer. I've learned through the years, to put that muzzle on and make sure that what I have to say is from the Lord and not my own "opinions."
v6 says: "Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro; He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, no knowing who will get it." Our lives are but a breath here on earth. We get so wrapped up in all that we think we need to do and forget to focus on what's important - Loving God and loving people. Our time here on earth is short compared to eternity in heaven. Why not take as many with us when we go? Maybe it's time we muzzle our mouths, stop all the arguing and start loving people the way Christ did in order to bring more to Him!
vs 14-16 kind of made me realize how lucky I really am to be a citizen of the United States. I don't have anyone trying to kill me (at least not within my knowledge), but I realize the enemy is lurking behind every corner trying to bring a slow death to me whether it's a physical one or spiritual death. What I've realized is that I have to give up focusing on all the bad stuff around us and actually turn my faith to the only ONE who can do anything - God. He is where I place my trust. With all the Presidential stuff going on right now (most of you know that I'm not into politics) people are throwing their opinions around like it's water. God ordained that office and whoever is in that place, we as believers need to support him in prayer not continue to criticize his every move. Yes, I believe the end times are near, but so has every generation before us. Every day brings us closer to the final day here on earth.

No comments: