background

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Amazing Inventions

People invent things everyday, but I was introduced to an absolutely amazing invention yesterday that I'd never heard of. It's called "Dermabond."

You see, I have a very accident prone child who had to visit the ER last night because he busted his chin open on the playground. After cleaning up the blood and getting a really good look at the cut, my husband and I decided Jaden probably needed to go see the "Dr." I called it the "Dr." so that he wouldn't get scared because of his last visit to the ER when he hit his head 2 years ago. I also avoided the dreaded word "stitches" because I didn't want to have to explain how a Dr. was going to use a needle and thread to sew him up.

The first thing Jaden did when I told him we were headed to the "Dr." was go and find his "ER bear" that the hospital gave him 2 years ago, the last time we visited the ER. He then requested to ride in the truck and away we went to the ER. (What's funny about this is that we have only been in this area for 2 1/2 weeks now and had no idea where the nearest hospital was. Jeremy had to run next door and ask.) Luckily it was only about 5 miles down the highway. We got half way there and Jaden finally asked, "mama, are we going to the ER?" I said, "well, is that ok if we are?" He said "yes, maybe they'll give me another bear and then I'll have 2 ER bears." How sweet.

We get tot he ER and find out that there is NO wait and we were in and out in 30 minutes. As far as ER visits go, this was the best ever except that they didn't have any bears to give away.

Ok, back to the invention part of this story. I was so scared to tell him what they were about to do and I asked the nurse if we really needed to be there. She said yes and that they could probably just glue it together with this new stuff called "dermabond." It's this glue like substance that the Dr. uses to hold cuts together instead of stitching. Nothing scary or painful about it. I was so thankful and blessed that we didn't have to go through the pain of stitches.

Thank you, God, for new inventions!

4 comments:

Kris said...

GREAT

first post over, can't wait to see what will come

ly,

kw

Kim said...

JULIE! You have a BLOG! :) Wow - Jaden at the ER again! I'm so sorry but glad it went well. :) I'll be adding you to my bloglist! We miss you guys!

Kim

katdish said...

Hey Julie! How's Jaden doing? I know that kid must have guardian angels working overtime! I could ask you a million questions (how are the kids, Jeremy, church, new town, etc., etc., etc....), but for now, I'll just say I'm looking forward to keeping up with you guys via your blog. Welcome to the blogosphere!

Christine said...

I'm so excited that you have a blog! Cool. I'm adding you to mine.

Looking forward to reading what's to come. :)

I'm thankful that your little one is well and "dermabonded" up. Sounds like good stuff.

Christine :)